I’d like to officially invite you all to participate in the 2017 Kelowna Kata & Kumite Cup Series.
When: Jan 15th, Feb 12th & Apr 9th.
Where: Rutland Senior Secondary (new, larger venue!)
This tournament is an unique experience for all dojos in the Okanagan and beyond. It is an entry-level point for athletes, dojos, officials and volunteers to become involved and explore competition in a friendly & supportive environment. For those looking for higher level competition, we have that too with Karate BC Team athletes and Team Canada athletes competing as well in the older divisions.
Through competing at the three events, everyone is given the opportunity to try new techniques and strategies and have a full month until they can test them in a ring again. Officials have an opportunity to grow and learn from some high-calibre (National and Provincial) certified officials.
With the decline or non-existence of the Zone playoffs last year – this event was deemed a qualifier for the Zone Team to compete at Karate BC Provincials.
Also these exciting *NEW* additions to the series for this year:
- All 3 events sanctioned by Karate BC
- Youth and adult divisions (8yrs+)
- Team Kata added this year!!
- Event will be scorecards, 15&under division all belts, 16+ division all belts
- Teams can be mixed genders
- 3 people per team
- only top 4 teams get medals
- Kobudo (weapons) added this year!!
- Top 4 athletes get medals
- Long and Short weapons in same group
- 15& under division, 16+ division
- 3 full 10×10 rings available this year!!
- New larger venue!!
The tournament format is still the same – focusing on development, time-on-mat, experience and enjoyment. Each age division will be split into groups of 4 (equal ability), who will compete in a round robin format thus guaranteeing that each competitor gets 3 kata performances, and 3 kumite matches. Each competitor will receive a medal in this series, in every tournament to promote growth and acknowledging effort.
We had over 100 participants in each tournament last year!